NAEE Annual Awards Program
NEW DEADLINE: June 30, 2013
The National Association of Economic Educators and the Council for Economic Education present the following five awards annually: The Bessie B. Moore Service Award is awarded to an economic educator who has provided outstanding service to economic education. The Henry H. Villard Research Award honors an individual who has conducted outstanding research in economic education. The John C. Schramm Leadership Award is given to someone who has exhibited great leadership in economic education. The Patricia Elder International Award is awarded for exemplary contributions to economic education internationally. The Rising Star Award recognizes a new member to our network who has "hit the ground running." The newest award, the Abbejean Kehler Technology Award, was created to honor Abbejean Kehler and her contributions to economic education, particularly in the use of technology. Other special awards are also given from time to time.
All NAEE awards have this requirement: Both the nominator and the nominee must be members of NAEE. Anyone involved in economic education can nominate if they are a member of the organization, and any individual nominated can be considered if they are members or join the organization.
About the Awards
To learn more about each award and to see the list of current and former recipients, please see the specific awards pages:
Bessie B. Moore Service Award
Henry H. Villard Research Award
John C. Schramm Leadership Award
Patricia Elder International Award
Rising Star Award
Abbejean Kehler Technology Award
Phil Saunders Best Economic Education Paper Award
Congratulations to the 2013 Awardees
NAEE award recipients, 2013. Left to right, Tim Scales, Rising Star Award; Barbara Flowers, Bessie Moore Service Award; John Swinton, Villard Research Award, Mike English (back), NAEE President; Nan Morrison, CEE President; Rita Litrell, Kehler Technology Award; and John Brock, Elder International Award. Not pictured: Claudia Parliament, Schramm Leadership Award.
Nominations for the 2014 awards will be open soon. Check this space for the date. . The recipients will be recognized at the awards dinner at the 2013 NAEE/CEE/GATE annual conference in Baltimore, MD, Oct 3-5. The online nomination form is available by following this link: http://form.jotform.us/form/30444997453160. Prior to filling out this form, please ask the nominee's permission and request a current vita. Please also collect up to three letters of support for your nominee. If you would prefer to submit your nomination by mail, please contact Steve Cobb (email@example.com), Chair of the NAEE Awards Committee, for specific instructions.
Nominations will be held for three years. If a nominee is not selected the first year, he/she will automatically be considered for the same award during the next two years. The principal nominator is invited to submit updated information.
How to Nominate
The following describes in general how to nominate an individual for the Schramm, Moore, Villard, Elder International, and Rising Star Awards. For the Kehler Technology Award, please send a letter or email to the chair of the Technology Committee at least 10 days before the overall deadline.
1. Before nominating an individual, please ask his/her permission, make sure she/he is a current NAEE member, and request a current vita in electronic format. The vita should be five pages or less and should focus on the criteria for the relevant award.
2. Please begin by looking over the online form the Awards Committee now uses for nominations at http://form.jotform.us/form/30444997453160. Use your review of this form to develop the electronic materials you will need for the nomination. Please make the entire nomination in one pass of the form. The following nomination information is needed:
3. The nominating letter and support letters should provide specific information regarding the nominee's accomplishments in economic education relevant to the specific award. Incomplete nominations will not be considered. All materials should be submitted in one use of the form. You should upload the vita and up to three nominating letters into the form links for that (at the end), although if these are combined into one file, you may upload that in the vita field.
- Single "page" nomination narrative that you can copy and paste into the form. In addition, the following information will be required:
- Name, title, and affiliation of nominee
Address, phone number and email address of nominee
- Name, title, and affiliation of person submitting nomination
Address, phone number and email address of person submitting nomination
- A letter of nomination from the primary nominator
- A maximum of three letters supporting the nomination
- A copy of the nominee's vita. The vita should be five pages or less and should focus on the criteria for the relevant award